What are signatures?Signatures are a text that is added automatically to public replies users post in a conversation.
Signatures allow you to:
- Brand your replies and display your business logo.
- Use different signatures for different departments in your origanization.
- Support multiple brands in case you represent several brands in your organization
- Make your emails personalized.
- Add disclaimers to emails you send.
- And more.
Signatures are not displayed when editing a response. Signatures are added to the response only after the response was actually posted. Signatures are not added to internal notes.
Using signaturesBy default, the workspace comes with a basic signature, which is a template containing details you need in a typical signature.
The default signature includes:
- First and last name of the user sending the message.
- Mailbox name and address.
- Workspace name.
ACME Support email@example.com
Signature blocksThe signature is built from three possible blocks:
- Workspace signature block – contains the workspace variables and optionally placeholders for the mailbox signature and user signature. The workspace signature can be edited from the workspace settings.
- Mailbox signature block – contains the mailbox variables and optionally a placeholder for the user signature. The mailbox signature can be edited from Mailbox settings, for each mailbox
- User signature block – contains the user’s variables. The user’s signature can be edited from your Preferences or you can edit other users signatures from Users settings if you are an admin
Placing the user signature in the mailbox block provides additional flexibility when designing your signature.
When does a signature get added?The signature is added to a post only when it is a public reply (internal notes do not contain signatures), and only if there is a signature defined for the workspace. If the workspace signature is empty – other signatures will be ignored and nothing will be added to the post.
The workspace signature can hold placeholders for the mailbox and user signatures. Only if the workspace contains the placeholder, these signatures will be added.
The decision whether to add a signature is performed in the following way:
- First the workspace signature is added. If the workspace signature is empty, no signature is added to the replies at all.
- Second, if the workspace signature contains placeholders for the mailbox or user signature, they are added as well, in the placeholder location
- Third, the mailbox signatures can optionally also include a placeholder for the user signature, which will be added as well. Normally you would probably want only one of them to include the user signature placeholder, but it’s possible to have it in both places.
Administrators managing workspace and mailbox signatures, may choose not to include user signatures by removing the user’s signatures placeholder in the workspace or mailbox signatures.
Using variables in your SignatureVariables provide a great help when creating your signature. They will automatically insert data like your mailbox, business name and your name, which are all generated while posting a reply.
Variables vary according to the signature block you are editing. Choosing a variable from the variables pull-down will add the variable in your signature template with brackets.
- Choosing the variables “User first name” and “User last name” will add the following to the signature template:
- Choosing the variable “Workspace name” to the workspace signature, will add the following to the template:
Including images in signaturesImages can be added only as pointers to an image hosted elsewhere, like your company’s Website.
- When editing a signature you can insert an image URL.
- Signatures accept the following image formats: jpg/gif/png. The image is inserted and displayed in the signatures editor.
- You can resize the image, if you wish, and the edited size is stored in the signature.
- When sending a public reply with a signature that has images – the pointer to the external image will be used. Replypad does not save the image, only the pointer.
Triggers and signaturesTriggers are automatic actions performed by the system according to user definitions. One of the actions available for triggers is to add a public reply.
Replypad will add the signature for public replies sent by triggers. However, the user’s signature that will be included (if the user-signature placeholder exists) will always be empty – as it is posted automatically by Replypad, not a real team member. The signature therefore consists of the workspace and mailbox signatures only.