What are internal notes?Internal notes are messages you can post in a conversation, which let you discuss things with other team members, behind-the-scenes, without the involvement of your customer. You may also use internal notes to document or summarize important information about the conversation.
Internal notes appear as part of the conversation, however, as opposed to public replies, internal notes can be posted and seen only by users of your team. Internal notes are never sent to or viewed by the people listed in the To and CC (usually your customer).
Internal notes are visibly different than public replies and appear with a different color and with the “Internal Note” indication in the note’s header.
@Mention users in internal notesA quick way to add users as followers to the conversation is by mentioning them using the @ symbol in the text. @Mentioning them will automatically add the user as a follower to the conversation. Learn more in Mentions.
Who gets notified about the internal note?Posting an internal note will send an email notification to the followers and assignee (if they want to receive email notifications), and push the conversation to the top of their inbox, and to the top of the Team’s Inbox. The person who posts the internal note will not have the conversation pushed to the top of their inbox.
Customers are never notified about internal notes.
Make sure the people that should get notified about the internal note, are listed as followers in the conversation’s sidebar on the right.
Post Internal NoteTo post an internal note, you should be in the conversation you want to add the note for.
- To open the internal note editor, press t keyboard shortcut or click the internal note link from the bottom of the conversation. You will notice the editor changes the color of the frame to indicate this is an internal note.
- Edit the note as you need. You can use the editor’s tools on the top part of the editing area. You can also use Saved Responses which can be prepared in advance.
- You can attach files and images using drag-and-drop, or by pressing alt then a keyboard shortcut, or by using the Attach icon in the toolbar. Dropping an image on the edit area will add the images inline. Inline images are optimized so they won’t exceed the optimal size for sending and displaying in the app.
- Click the Post note button or use the Ctrl + Enter keyboard shortcut to post the note.
- Make sure you choose the correct options whether you want to close the conversation or dismiss it or both.
If you start writing an internal note and do not send it, it will automatically save as a draft.
Post internal note using triggersTriggers are a set of user defined rules that help you automate your work.
You can use triggers to automatically post an internal note to a conversation, when the condition you define is met. For example, if a conversation is created for a specific account, then post an internal note “Reminder – always consult with Dan before replying to this customer”.
See Post internal note using triggers for a detailed usage example.